I would like to bump part of my post from Mar. 2010 for Outlaw's consideration in the 978 successor processor

Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
... I fall in the camp of wanting the wireless network and streaming audio/video in the unit itself. ... I really don't want to have to keep buying separate devices that significantly duplicate the functionality that IMO should be built in the processor portion of a pre/pro. That just adds to the overall cost of the system and provides little or no benefit.

A specific feature I would like to see included is some sort of embedded Linux system with a removable SD chip (full/mini/micro - I don't care) that drives a lot of the functionality through software. In conjunction with network connectivity and software/firmware refreshes, this seems like an excellent and relatively low-cost way to gain significant flexibility and future proofing for the entire system. The removable SD memory chip for memory would allow Outlaw to offer additional features in the future that were not possible with the memory the unit shipped with (e.g. the equalization feature not available on the 990).

Additionally, I would love to see two rear panel USB ports ...

Finally, please include Dolby Volume for those of us who watch commercial TV.

As a clarification here, I would want the best possible DAC's in the pre-pro (and a high quality stereo ADC). That way I can run all digital input where possible and be able to take advantage of whatever correction systems are included.

I see the imbedded Linux system as a way for Outlaw to potentially fix problems easier and offer new functions and features (possibly as an added cost options).
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra