Ritz you are exactly correct. The only way to be sure to miss any bugs/issues with either unit is to wait a year or so after release. It is certain that both units will have some type of issues when released and it will take at least a year to iron them out.

Owning processors and amps from both companies I feel those who refer to the problems with Emo products are being a bit hypocritical.

Look back at the beginning of Outlaws days with the 950. By comparison to today's processors the 950 is simple in its implementation. Raise your hand if you remember hiss issues, blue dot, red dot, stopping production for a few months to resolve problems then finally an E-PROM swap that you did on your kitchen table to fix DTS.

How about the 990 which began shipping in 5/05 and had multiple firmware revisions through 5/08. That's 3 years to resolve some issues. I applaud them for continuing to work on issues but it's another example of how things can drag on.

Lets not forget the 970/1070...

Outlaw has not had the pleasure of releasing a product as "modern" as the UMC-1 so we really don't know how they will handle the more complex issues of HDMI and advanced room correction. Time will tell and I think they will do better.

Every processor/receiver from both companies has had multiple software updates to resolve issues and that will continue with each new model. At least both companies have a generous return policy if you are not satisfied.