I never claimed that Audyysey was older than Tact. I said that Tact was an obscure brand and hadn't been attempted at this price point. Certainly compared to Audyysey it is obscure.

And I'm not so sure that the XMC could sell like hotcakes. I'm not sure if members of this forum are aware of the disaster that was the UMC. People were actually talking legal action. In some cases it blew drivers. It lost the center channel signal. It's LFE implementation is legendary for being a complete joke. The room correction made things so bad most simply didn't use it. It had handshake issues and couldn't play well with some brands of cable boxes. And upon its introduction Emotiva promised the moon. Lonnie and Dan were actually giddy. They claimed that this perfect unit was the victim of some kind of installation glitch, that the programming was actually fine. But if so, why didn't a simple re-install not solve everything and give the customers sonic bliss for their hard earned dollars? For 2 years customers have had promise after promise thrown at them. Firmware after firmware and nothing panned out. I don't know how they could do that to their customers, but many are not coming back. Of course, many were kicked out of their forum anyway.

They've had quite a mixed bag of results. Amps whose LED lights that went hayware. The customer would return it only to have the bug show up in the replacement model. Amps whose channels blew up. Hissing amps. Their UPA multi channel amps had such poor crosstalk numbers that people would be woken up in another room on speakers fed from the same amp. Their ultra line of cables had a high rate of failure and was quietly retired.

They've had other issues. CD players that eat cds and miss the first few seconds of the first song played. Their DAC was released with an improperly implemented volume function which made it near useless as a pre-amp, one of its main selling features.

Out of the three products I purchased from them 2 had issues. The cd player front panel weeped an oily greasy substance. Upon removing the front right chrome piece I found that the screw hole had been badly stripped at the chinese factory using some kind of compound which accounted for the greasy film. They were disinclined to do anything about it. I had the DAC volume issue and had to pay to send it back for the volume fix so I could use it as a pre-amp.

Emotiva has a very long way to go, in my opinion, to get back some of the abused customers. A properly functioning pre-pro will not do it.

Edited by S. Sharkey (03/22/12 07:33 PM)