Originally Posted By: renov8r
The 978 features have included the ability to "feed" digital audio files to the onboard DAC from a computer via USB, such capability has existed in current Outlaw offerings. Of course the feature list and specific implementation has been "subject to change" forever...

I have not seen enough reviews to judge the effectiveness of TACT vs XT32, though I do not beleive either of them has the advanced capabilities of Trinnov when it comes to making adjustments to delay & phase to electronically "re-orient" the speakers into a virtual perfect placement...

I'm sure that both Emotiva and Outlaw are very aware of the comparisions that will be drawn between both of their products and the various design trade-offs that were made enroute. It ought to make some for interesting reviews when both are in the marketplace.

Trinnov is rather irrelevant since the Outlaw unit isn't going to have it and the only equipment with Trinnov priced for consumer wallets was the Sherwood disaster that Outlaw almost released under its own brand. Perhaps our new Outlaw employee, Jeff Hipps, can comment since he was front and center (at Sherwood) during that debacle? smile

I haven't heard the Audyssey XT32 system, but I HAVE heard TACT gear. It simply needs to be heard to be believed. Sadly, Tact and Lyngdorf equipment is out of the budget of many home theater enthusiasts so this Emotiva processor has the potential to be a rock star. The jury is out on whether they're able to execute on this based on their last UMC-1 effort.

As for your claims about Outlaw pre's being able to accept input from the USB for their onboard DAC, I think the jury is still out on that one. They haven't been particularly forthcoming on (a) the versions of various crucial hardware components (which someone else already mentioned) and (b)the exact functionality that they plan to offer. So I hope you'll pardon my skepticism until such time as there is someone not under NDA who can comment on both of those points.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (02/19/12 01:20 PM)