I have had a 990 and an Oppo BDP-83 and have been waiting to see what the phantom Outlaw 9xx replacement would be. I had thought about upgrading the 83 to the 83SE or recently getting the new BDP-95. I need the 990 to do full bass management for other sources (cable box, media player, and a VCR maybe once a year), but the only way to run the 990's 7.1 direct in BYPASS is to have all speakers set to large all around. This disables bass management for other sources. I figured with the extra A/D/A conversion and digital processing in the 990 with speakers set to small, I would probably lose the advantage that the 83E or the new BDP-95 would give me over the BDP-83.

I wondered if anyone knows if there is a way to program any programmable remote control with all the commands needed to switch the 990 between large speakers all around (no bass management) and small speakers all around (full bass management) -- to make it less painful. Then I would even think about getting a BDP-95 and setting it up to do the bass management and keeping the 990 for a while.