Quote:
Hi:

>The only difference between us is I see the LAN as just another digital port to hook up my streaming devices, like my NAS or my computer.<

Original poster bobm

I am not sure if that is exactly the same thing, I connect my Cable, Squeezebox and BD into my 950. The 950 accepts those digital singles, processes the sound but it does not control the source, e.g. select tracks.

Thats a good point. Although I am not sure if I can send music to a ethernet port on a pre/pro from my NAS or computer using my computer, or if I have to draw that music to the processor using its own interface. I don't have one with a LAN port yet. lol

Quote:
Wouldn’t you need a UI of some sort on the processor to handle streaming even it is is done from another client?

You know I just assumed it would come with a on screen UI at least for settings and setup. Its just a computer after all how tough would it be to add a simple UI. My eyes are getting old and a on screen UI is a must have for me.
I obviously need to read allot more on the 978 it keeps getting further and further away from me.

Quote:
I certainly would not want to see the processor loaded down with Netflix Apps and the like.

I agree I have little interest in this aspect of streaming as of right now. I really just need a connection for my NAS. However I think allot of people do internet streaming and I think very soon it will show huge growth. I also hope the quality of the feeds will vastly improve.

I am not sure that those small interface programs like netflix would have much influence on the pre/pro's processor. I don't know the technical aspect of those programs but they don't seem to affect the performance of my TV, blu-ray players, PS3,ect.

For me it boils down to, People who are going to purchase a pre/pro right now have a choice. Buy a processor with a ethernet port now or buy another one in 2 or 3 years when all pre/pro's will have ethernet capabilities. I am going with the LAN setup now so hopefully I wont need to upgrade in just a few years. I am sure that streaming to the processor is the future, But I could be wrong. lol

Tracy

Edited by Tracy Schmidt (02/16/12 11:08 AM)