Originally Posted By:XenonMan

I agree with Renov8r!! Processors should attempt to become universal connections for support devices such as streaming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree with you more I think that is exactly what pre/pro's should be.

The only difference between us is I see the LAN as just another digital port to hook up my streaming devices, like my NAS or my computer.

The OPPO to me is a work around as far as digital steaming. It is very affective and it works fine but why have it in the source component when it really should be in the universal connection component the pre/pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted By:XenonMan

With streaming ability in many bluray players built in and also the ability to decode almost anything (OPPO) why duplicate that function in a processor? You are already going to pay a big chunk of moola for a processor
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant believe that the addition of a LAN port would increase the cost of a pre/pro very much.
The parts are cheap just look on some of the computer build it yourself sites and you will see. Now multiply that by 5, 10, 15 thousand units and you could probably pay pennies on the dollar.

Software might be spendy but I would think it is pretty simple. Now R&D is expensive but again 5 or 10 thousand units evens that out.

Others have done it at low price points like Marantz and maybe the new Emotive.

I also believe that adding this port to the 978 would only delay the release by 6 months and I for one am willing to wait...lol

Tracy

Edited by Tracy Schmidt (02/15/12 03:00 AM)