If the 978 comes out with a "list price" of $2600 it will redefine what "epic fail" means.

Keeping in mind that the $2600 Onkyo/Integra unit(s) would give you about $1000 of "buying power" IF the 978 comes out at its previously targeted point -- that would allow you to get AT LEAST the Outlaw 7 x 125 Watt Power Amplifier along with the 978 as part of package, of course if you believe that receivers with that sort of power "rating" are going to be able to deliver even 5 ch of juice (let alone 7...) you have not read the same reviews I have nor heard the units in real world conditions...

Fact is, the crop of HDMI 1.4a processors is still pretty thin, ESPECIALLY at the target price of the current 7005...

Originally Posted By: rubbersoul
... I just cannot figure out how Outlaw expects to kept the attention of even the most loyal customers.
... there are many new processors out there that offer a lot more than what the 978 seems to be offering and the prices are in the same ballpark as what I expect Outlaw's 978 to be.
I think the 978 might be outdated before it even gets out of the gate competing against other processors for accolades that people want to hear and are looking for that in the market.
My friend just purchased the Integra DHC 80.3/DTA 70.1 combo a very impressive sounding couple. I was considering to pull the trigger on both of these pieces but the price of $4600 kepts me on the fence. Then I was toying with the idea of buying the processor alone ($2600) and adding a new amp sometime in the future but for financial reasons I will take a back seat on any new additions to my home theater...