Originally Posted By: GaryB
Has anyone else noticed that the Aug. 2, 2011 update regarding the Model 978 was unceremoniously expunged from this forum 2 or 3 weeks ago (I missed the exact date)? One can only guess why, but there is now no officially published update since Jan. 26, 2011, more than a year ago...

Edit: It occurs to me that the only real "news" in that now-absent update related to the inclusion of the vaunted ESS DACs (yes, there was also the bit about the switching power supply). Curious...

Going back to my observation from last week (above), I also wonder how many others noticed that, before it was removed, the now-absent update to which I refer was stickied to the top of every single thread on this forum, in addition to its expected posting under the "Announcements" heading. That always struck me as very odd, but I figured that Outlaw simply wanted maximum exposure of the update's contents to all forum visitors. It must have taken some effort to remove all traces of it.

Which brings me to the point I wish to make... I can't see any reason for deliberately removing that update unless one or both of its two main revelations (ESS DACs, switching power supply) will no longer be true of the "finished" product. I can't see the power supply as a cause for unresolvable firmware issues, so I have to wonder whether the ESS DACs have been dropped. That wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world - there are excellent alternatives - but at this stage of the game could result in even longer delays. Food for thought...