Originally Posted By: Ritz2
... The bottom line is that small companies like Outlaw don't WANT to own their own production capacity. ... So if they want to maximize their profit, they need to keep their supply chain lean and confine production to where all the components are produced. That doesn't mean they couldn't assemble things here, but that doesn't maximize their return on what is likely going to be units shipped in the low thousands. ...
...I'll be curious to see what the Outlaw (and Emotiva) product looks like under the covers and see how it differs (if at all) on the software front from whoever is selling it to them as an OEM...

Do you seriously think Emotiva and Outlaw are using the same manufacturer? Or are you suggesting there is some manufacturer that is selling another "box" with the same features as the forth coming Outlaw pre-pro? Or one from Emotiva?

???

I think you are mistaken in how low volume electronics contract manufacturing works.

Even when Outlaw was still using the parent of Sherwood-Newcastle as a "manufacturing partner" there was NO reciever under development for Outlaw and there was no non-powered pre-pro being cooked up for SherNew...

The world of contract electronics is not like the days of Buick slapping a different label on the same platform as Chevy / Olds / Poncho. The "VALUE ADD" work is done by electronic designers / engineers that own / work for the stateside firms. Often they build a "wire wrap" hand built proto-type to verify that the stuff that, on paper, ought to sound good / not melt down / emits nothing scary REALLY does all that it is supposed to. The contract shop MIGHT have folks to do PCB boards OR they'll expect the client to deliver "production ready" board layouts that came together AFTER the wire wrap stage... There is no "upsell name plate" nor is the same product going to another firm. The "leanness" truly mean that the low value / low skill stuff that is better done by contractors close to the component supplier(s) makes not just a price point possible, but a whole "laborless assembly" firm to exist.

{btw I don't have enough evidence to either support or refute the assertion that there is some kind of strategy to "subvert our economy" by anyone either inside or outside our borders but somehow I think it is an awful long stretch to think the best way to do this is by pitting folks like the crew in EveAnna's photo tour against who knows how many / few folks in China that probably prefer life in a crowded factory dorm to life in a subsistence level Mao era farm town, but then again Kurschev probably had three shoes with him at the UN...}