Nonsense -- the Buick Regal for the North American market is assembled in Ontario.

For products like the iPhone the component cost is far more important than the actual "labor" of assembly and those components are made in China and other SE Asia countries.

It is fair to say that if the components were to be shipped across the Pacific the odds of saving more than a modest amount of money for assembly would be rather small, but that presupposes that whole manufacturing pipeline could survive the inefficiency of having slow downs like shipping in the lowest value rung of the final assembly stage. The various environmental and logistic concerns of having a mass scale product assembled in the US would likely prove impossible to overcome...

For a more limited scale product, like the 978, the various hurdles to domestic production might seem be easier to deal with, but the reality is that the techniques needed to build even limited distribution products like an audio receiver in anywhere other than SE Asia are have been hard to come by for probably 4 decades or more. Honestly take a "time machine" back to before CD playerss were commmon placewhen vinyl and 8-tracks rules and the products from Sansui, Pioneer, Luxman, Yamaha, Teac were built in Singapore or Japan.

The $12,000 McIntosh MX150 carries a very noticeable little screen printed tag: "Assembled in the USA from USA and imported parts". And I am sure the good people run D&M Holdings are at not making any excess profits from their "flagship"...

I suspect that the Outlaws did all they could to try to source a domestic source of assembly and found no suitable solution. Somehow I doubt that any "economic war" will be won by firms like McIntosh or Peachtree doing "final assembly" in the USA while the "guts" are put together in SE Asia...