Originally Posted By: XenonMan
In the long run we have created this monster ourselves. We convinced the rest of the world that capitalism was the way to go but failed to foresee what would happen when all those countries with lower standards of living and labor costs realized thay could play the game and beat us at it. At the same time we went out of our way to invite cheaper markets here whereas we can't challenge them in their markets (NAFTA anyone). Trying to reverse 40 years of playing dead in the manufacturing arena by refusing to send $$$ to regimes who are competing against us is IMHO futile. When my equipment gives up the ghost or just becomes seriously obsolete, I will look for the best bang for the buck piece of equipment I can buy no matter where it is built or who gets the money.

It's precisely this attitude that has gotten us (as a country) into the pickle we're in. So do you continue the madness or do you try to fix it? Personally, I'd prefer to try to fix it instead of throwing up my hands and resigning myself to the fact that we're being co-opted. I'm not picking on you, in particular, since there are obviously a lot of people who simply don't care and follow the cheapest price wherever that may lead.

Best,