Originally Posted By: XenonMan
A receiver based on the 978 would also be a logical solution.

Isn't that where this "movie" started? -- with Sherwood-Newcastle? Can't imagine Outlaw revisiting that again, even flying solo. Mechanically, at least, it'd be a whole new ballgame and I would be surprised if there aren't still some patent or proprietary design issues that survived their parting of the ways. In fact, that may be the reason for some of the delays now.

You can list a bunch of technical reasons that have made this a difficult project -- moving target HDMI specs, choice of equalizer circuitry, tsunami in Japan, and perhaps a couple of others. But, during this same time frame hundreds of other electronic devices have been successfully designed and brought to market including cell phones, tablets, new technology TVs, medical devices and even audio equipment. Arguably, these devices are as complex, if not more so, than an audio preamp, even a sophisticated one.

There's no real new technology here; I see the design challenge as being largely mechanical or marketing based. A cell phone deals with rf, audio, video, computing, touch-screen displays, satellite signals, all in a small fraction of the volume of a preamp and every vendor seems to be able to bring to market several models per year. The preamp, by necessity of accommodating all the connections to the outside world must be physically large. But, they've already done one that was successful. They know how to build a quality preamp.

The financial viability of this project must be questioned. I have the impression that most high-end audiophiles are not in their 20s or 30s. Almost everyone on these forums already owns a preamp. The 978 would be a replacement for a previous purchase. I wonder how many of the 20 or 30 somethings who have been weaned on MP3 compression and think high end audio is a 12 inch-wide clock radio with a docking station, are ready to enter the high-end audio world? Is there really the expanding market that is required to support a business?

Another factor must be the revenue lost due to the potential customers unwilling to wait. These forums are littered with the receipts of tens of thousands of dollars in competitor sales - money that could have been returned to Outlaw had they thrown the same amount into solving their problem early on.

While I can't see a financial benefit to Outlaw to bring this to market at a competitive price point, to not do so would probably do irreparable harm to their reputation. One of the most difficult decisions in business is to know when to cut the losses. Their problem is that they need a preamp in their product line, to complete the signal chain.

7335 forum members, assume 95% are potential outlaw customers=
7000 customers.
Assume another 10% own Outlaw but not on forums= 7700 possible customers.
Guess 35% (prob high) would buy a 978 =2700 sales.
Price(?) $1900 x 2700 = $5.1 million
Say we're off by factor of 2; still $2.5m is sales. Say cost is 75% of selling price (prob high); profit = $625,000
Unlikely that would pay for R&D -- but while it might not sink the company, it would preserve their integrity. Worth something.