I've read a few before. If and when I come across them I'll try and send you a link. I want to even say that I read some material in the Sherwood review. Trinnov definitely has some awesome abilities and it's exciting to think what it can provide for us in the future. Think of a left speaker that seems so move itself when panning left or right or even up. But because of the process it uses , changing the phase of speakers, it doesn't seem possible to me to benefit from measuring different locations unless of course this could make the sound more lateral say across a sofa rather than circular around the single listening position. For having multiple locations that you can switch between I think most people have a favorite listening position that they sit at all the time. Also if you don't want audyssey to correct for 32 positions don't measure 32 positions. But yes you're right you can't say listening position 1 only or 1-5 or only 2. This would be a nice feature. I haven't really heard much about how they calculate this whether it be an average or if it just attempts to fix all problematic frequencies. I will ask Chris about this.
The best example I can give for what the DSX is supposed to achieve is turning a standard theater into an IMAX. Even an IMAX movie is recorded in 5.1 then matrixed and tweaked. We won't have the people that would be necessary to take any unwanted information out or in, which is the biggest issue but I hear it is pretty accurate. For serious listening materials you might want to turn off DSX but I imagine most people with it will play it most of the time if not always.