Originally Posted By: Logan Robertson
All I was saying is if your speakers are placed at the appropriate heights and angles then Trinnov is an unnecessary asset and/or expense.
Hi Logan. I think you might be confusing Trinnov room correction with one of its features (speaker re-mapping). Imagine someone told you that they don't plan on using wide or height speakers, so Audyssey is unnecessary for them. You'd have to explain that Audyssey is more than DSX. Likewise, Trinnov is more than speaker re-mapping. In fact, until someone does a head to head comparison, there's no reason to believe that Audyssey's room correction capability is superior to Trinnov's room correction capabilities. They're well regarded in professional mixing studios for their automated room-EQ.
I don't think PLIIz will really benefit anyone anyways unless Dolby comes out with video games that are programmed with that discrete channel which is likely to happen way sooner than movies.
PLIIz is matrix surround processing. If video games come out with discrete height channels, then you won't need matrix processing to extract them. It's like a discrete 7.1 soundtrack: you don't need PLIIx processing to extract rear channels, because they're there in discrete form.
I hear DSX is the way to go regardless with heights because PLIIz is too tame with these channels not allowing much material to play with the heights in fear of playing content not meant to be played above you. Audyssey DSX is more willing to take the chance that unintentional material can be sent to the height speakers so that they can play more material giving the channels a much more significant purpose and effect.
That's not quite how they compare.

PLIIz extracts decorrelated (out of phase) info from the surround channels and sends them to the height speakers. Those sounds typically don't image at specific locations in the surround field anyway, sounding instead like they're all around/above you. If PLIIz sounds too subtle, you can always raise their level until you get the right effect.

Unlike PLIIz, which extracts info from the recording itself, DSX generates early reflections that weren't in the original recording and adds them to the overall sound. When the wides and/or heights are activated, the main L/R speakers are reduced by 3dB and all the surround speakers are also reduced by 3dB (the surround channels are also decorrelated, to slightly blur directionality). The net effect of all of this is that the wides and heights are much more noticable.

Having heard both, I can't say I prefer DSX. Besides, I'd rather hear ambience that is in the recording (PLIIz) than generated reflections (DSX). YMMV.
Again we don't even know if DSX will be offered on any Outlaw processor but considering the 978 will run Audyssey XT32 and have PLIIz decoding according to the spec sheet I will assume it also has the DSX decoding which is why 11 channels is even up for debate.
I suppose they could do it with 7 speakers. After configuring the basic 5.1 set-up, the remaining 2 speakers can be used for heights, wides or rears (depending on personal preference).