Originally Posted By: cp1966
So let me see if I have the suggestions correct;

Use the HDMI for the video signal only from the Oppo 95 to the Onkyo 886. Run the 8 RCA cables fom the analog section of the 95 (LF, LR, C, SR, SL, SBL, SBR and SUB) for ALL of the audio. Including not only 2 channel stereo CDs, but also for Dolby HD and DTS MA?

That is correct. This is the only way to hear what you paid an extra $500 for when you bought the BDP-95.

And this is accomplished in the menu settings of the Onkyo to ignore all audio from the HDMI signal and only accept the 8 analogs signals?

Right. You can set the BDP-95 to output video only via the HDMI output, but it isn't a necessary step. If setting up an input for the 7.1 analog input isn't clear to you from the Onkyo setup menus or manual, check Outlaw's 886 guide. Pages 18 through 20 should cover it, particularly the top of page 20.

I didnt think I was TOO much of a newbie in this area but I thought the HDMI was the way to go for the hi-def audio signal as well as the hi-def video that was afforded with ly-Rays.

HDMI is usually the recommended solution, but there are exceptions. One is when the source has a better analog section than the receiver or processor, as is the case with a player like the BDP-95. The only way to hear that analog section is to use analog output from the player.