Originally Posted By: cp1966
For Blu Rays I have the 95 hooked up via HDMI to HDMI input #3.

You are not hearing what the BDP-95 is capable of this way. You are hearing what the BDP-93's digital output is capable of, and what the Onkyo's analog section sounds like. Based on what I've heard from the 885, the analog output of the BDP-93 is at least equal to (or better than) the analog output of the 886 - and the BDP-95 is a solid step up from there. Gotta use the 7.1 analog output, though. Before you attempt to evaluate the BDP-95's analog section, which is what you paid extra for, gather up eight analog cables and connect the 7.1 analog output. The 7.1 input on the Onkyo should be an analog pass-through - that's how my 885 worked - so all you'll have to do is configure an input to use the 7.1 analog and you'll be good to go.

For CD playback I also have it hooked up via RCA cables using the L and R (not the LF and RF from the 7.1 RCA connectors) going to the "Aux 1" RCA inputs on the back of the 886.

As KOYAAN points out, you need to engage direct or pure audio mode to avoid A/D/A conversion that will dilute the BDP-95's performance.

I am also unable to get the test tones to sound in the speaker set up to calibrate it using my SPL meter.

I have run Audessey in the past, but I think I have cleared that and now going manual (distance and SPL manually entered).

I'm not sure if the test tones work over digital outputs - haven't tried it in a while. I'll try to look at my BDP-95 later this morning to see if I can recall how the test tones work.

In both cases above, Audyssey should be a non-factor because you need to have the Onkyo set up to serve as an analog pre-amp only. That means no room correction, no bass management, no matrix surround processing, no distance adjustments. You could leave Audyssey engaged for other inputs and still use the BDP-95 via analog.