Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
I say that I'm giving Audyssey smoother profiles to work with than w/o EQ'ing individually 1st.
No you're not. You're EQing each sub flat under conditions that Audyssey will never ever hear. The moment Audyssey fires up both subs together, those individual profiles disappear. You may have pulled down a 6dB peak from one of the subs that would have been acoustically cancelled by interaction from the other sub. So now when Audyssey fires up both subs, it has to deal with a 6dB dip that you created.
Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
Have any of you tried this yourselves and know that it won't work?
Of course. Why do you think I keep saying "rather than take my word for it, try it for yourself"? I didn't just wake up one day and decide out of the blue that two subs, each EQ'd flat independently, wouldn't sum to a flat response together. Do you think Audyssey arbitrarily decided to change the way they EQ multiple subs? On the top of the line Denon receivers and pre-pro, Audyssey equalized each of the three subwoofers independently. Denon is planning on upgrading their flagship models to include, amongst other things, the most advanced version of Audyssey that will equalize all three subs together. Do you think such a significant change is based on just theory or real world measurements?