This is not easy stuff... crazy

Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
I don't see it. If you individually EQ each sub so that the phase, distance, amplitude, and freq spectra is what you want at the main listening positioning, and then you add them together, their responses should just add together.

This is only likely to be true if the 2 subs are physically colocated, a situation where they are in phase at all frequencies and both elicit the same set of reverberations in the room. If they are equidistant from the listener but not colocated, they will still be in phase at all frequencies but I suspect their reverberant soundfields will interact in a way which cannot be predicted from their individually measured responses (unless they are outdoors away from any barriers or in an anechoic chamber, not typical HT environments). If they are physically separated and not equidistant from the listener, their phase relationships will vary with frequency and again their reverberant soundfields will be different. The experiment which Sanjay suggested (and which I have to assume he has performed) will prove this one way or another.

Btw, which EQ solution do you know of which equalizes phase for non-colocated, non-equidistant subwoofers? The only one I know of is Sub EQ HT.

Quote:
Gary- with your virtual sub idea: if each individal EQ system is doing what it's supposed to, the new virtual sub created from one plus another would simply be the two fields added together. No interaction. The only way *interactions* occur is if things *aren't* in phase so they don't add together properly.

See above.

Bottom line... I will be quite happy, and confident that I am optimizing my overall bass performance, by allowing Sub EQ HT and MultEq XT32 to handle the combined output of my 2 subs (when I get them) without any preliminary hanky-panky. If you want to go through the additional steps which you propose, are willing to spend the additional money and time to do so, and are comfortable with the added complexity, go for it. I still think it's a "bad idea", but it's your decision to make. smile

Edited by GaryB (10/05/11 07:57 PM)
Edit Reason: Summing up.