Hello. I think maybe I can answer some questions for others on the fence about buying the Outlaw Compact as I think most of us that are interested in it are because we have design and/or space constraints.

My living room is large (3800 SQ ft with a large opening into a 3800 sq ft kitchen) First, I tried to hide a subwoofer in the ceiling of my living room for design reasons and bought a moderno passive in wall sub. Big mistake. Unfortunately it made the system sound horrible. No bass at low levels, and tortured sound at higher levels, including rattling and other sins against sound. To hear the bass, the sound level had to be screeching. It was most unpleasant and my entire system sounded horrible and music playback was dismal. I spent a lot of money on THX rated in ceiling speakers, and a nice receiver and I thought maybe I had wasted all my money.

What to do? I went shopping for a sub at Best buy which had the units on a plastic rack so they all rattled so I took some names and went online and read the reviews. All horrible.

I poked around and then started seeing reviews for the bigger outlaw and HSU subs,got excited about the down firing outlaws (again a design thing, not wanting the speaker covers showing into the room) , took the specs and told the wife, who promptly hit the roof about the size of the unit. She was right, they are too big for anything other than a dedicated movie/sound room or a single guy's house. Onto plan C.

I found this sub, which is roughly the size A klipsch sw-450 but comes from a much better pedigree. I called Outlaw customer service and they said "excellent sound goes real low but it won't pressurize the room, for that you need one of our bigger subs". I took a chance anyway and am very glad I did.

Let me just say that immediately upon hooking this thing up (with the wireless kit sold by Outlaw), my system settled down and sounded like it should have all along. Movie special affects do indeed shake the couch and make you jump, the rest of the speakers are able to do their jobs without trying to handle the bass, which makes the system unbelievable for movies.

Then I put on my digital smooth jazz channel and was blown away. I can now hear individual bass notes and easily pick out what instrument is playing them. The entire system now sounds for lack of a better word "thrilling". This, all at low enough levels to entertain in the house and keep everyone happy.

I am very happy with my purchase. The price I paid, including the wireless receiver and tramsitter (a great item!) is far below what you can buy for a subwoofer of this quality or magnitude at any stereo store.

I think my initial confusion about whether or not I needed the bigger Outlaw unit has been answered. The answer is no, this is perfect for my room, for movies, for my listening style, my decor, and my stereo system. Perfection for me. Kudos to Outlaw's design team.

Edited by gregfl (10/05/11 10:27 AM)