After listening to several speakers, I've decided I really like Magnepan's line since I like the sound and- more importantly- I don't own a cat. I'm thinking I'd go with four MG12s, one CC3 center, and two MC1's for the rear surround. My second choice is B&W's 703-based system which sounds great as well, but goes for over double the cost for a similar setup (7 matched speakers.)

I've got an Outlaw 950/7100 setup to drive the Maggies (at 4 ohm) along with the Outlaw LFM-1 sub, which I found is a requirement for the 12s as there's almost no bass to speak of.

Question: does this mimic anyone else on this forum? I found a three-year-old thread about Maggies, but I thought I'd freshen it up a bit and start a new one. I'm interested in any opinions regarding Outlaw's stuff and Maggies.

I also listened to the 1.6s, and to be honest, I found the MG12s actually had much better sound. The 1.6s I demoed were quite harsh in the high end compared to the 12s. I used the same exact electronics, CDs, and room too. Just the speaker cables moved. Any theories as to why the cheaper MG12s sounded better than the bigger brother 1.6s would be welcome too. Both are well within my budget so if I can get a benefit by going to the 1.6s I may. Note that I'm set to hear them again, but with the capactor enabled on the 1.6s to cut the treble down a tad.

Thanks!