Originally Posted By: redman6
lack of either usb/lan limits firmware updates aswell, since hdmi 1.4a is still under development I would say looking at upgrading via hdmi may cause more issues..

The unit has USB on the front panel specifically for firmware updating. HDMI v1.4a is actually pretty well settled now, but surround processors have a whole lot of audio and video processing software that needs tweaking.

the 120/240 needs to be standard, I can't see people spending cash on a 1,500-2,500 pre-amp then spending another $500-1,500 on a step down power transformer...

A company that only sells in the US and Canada has not reason to pay extra to design a power supply for 240V.

xeno, if the 978 is 98% complete why is it going to take sometime within the 4th quarter to release it, what's happening within the last 2% is it hardware or is it firmware???

Firmware on something this complex is not easy to get right. Beta testing and developing a suitable production firmware takes time. I've beta tested every disc player that OPPO Digital has developed since the DV-981HD back in 2006, and beta testing for them takes anywhere from three months to six months or more. For the Blu-ray players, it's been closer to six months pretty consistently. In those cases, the beta testers always had final hardware when we started - or maybe had a single hardware revision early in the testing process. That last 2% is hard - and important to get right.