i would have to kinda agree with curegeorg(oh no! laugh )
unless you want to go sony es or pioneer elite,stay away!check the specs on MOST budget oriented receivers(100x6 @ 1KHZ W/1%THD @ 6 OHMS)(example only) those are crappy numbers!that's with a test tone ,6 ohm load and a LOT of distortion.hook up speakers with the ever changing load at different frequencies and you maybe average 40-50 real world watts(and i'm probably being generous)and the freq. range is probably 40-20000hz,that means that killer sub you buy that goes down to 19hz doesn't have that signal.(i keep saying you, although i know you are helping family)
just keep researching,go to crutchfield.com to get ideas and prices ranges,you can download owner's manuals and get a better handle on the products in your price range.
if you don't wanna wait for a 1070,then go for something like integra(upper end onkyo),sherwood,rotel,even denon.i've heard alot of good things about these brands(but denon did get a big slam going up against sony es on a buddy's demo when he bought def-techs,denon couldn't cut it,and i couldn't tell you the model #)