Originally Posted By: gonk
I don't think it was by design - that assumes too much forethought in the development of HDMI as a standard, and if there's one thing that they can't be accused of with HDMI, it is forethought.

Good point. No need to construct a grand conspiracy when it can be explained by simple incompetence.

Quote:
I think HDMI contributed to the problem, but I think there have been other factors that have made it hard for folks like Outlaw, Sherwood, Parasound, B&K, and similar smaller companies. HDMI is a tough nut to crack. Add room correction. Add a significant video processing solution (Reon, ABT, Marvell, etc.). That's two more components that, if done properly, are similarly challenging and fast-changing technologies to assess and implement. Then you have to decide what you're going to do about the other features that people are starting to expect now. New processing modes that expand beyond 7.1 will either require additional DAC channels or force you to select between back surround channels and front height/wide channels. Network capabilities like DLNA, Netflix, Pandora, and Amazon VOD are even harder to evaluate than video processing vendors, and costly in R&D efforts to develop. (Not to mention some leave you at the mercy of a third party, like Netflix, who may decide to push you down the list for certification so a new PS3 update or a new player from Panasonic or Sony can get certified because those clients have larger customer bases.)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record ....

Some of those other "factors" are only factors if the small companies continue to engage in the feature war with the big boys. Outlaw, Emotiva, etc. should give up that fight and give up those consumers who care about such things. IMO, small companies like Outlaw need a different value proposition that - yes - will likely not woo a lot of mainstream consumers but will net them some niche customers.

Edited by LightninBoy (06/20/11 02:07 AM)
Edit Reason: fixing quotes