Guys,

Please be gentle with a total NOOB who really doesn't understand most of what you are talking about with respect to all of this equipment. I do have a question about the SR5005 and was hoping to get some help.

I have two setups. One is in my basement and used to be my primary. Sadly not anymore. I have a 990/7125 combo with Linn floor standing speakers. Nice. Bummer is that my Sony rear projection TV is crapping out on me. The HDMI outputs are going out one by one. Not sure why. Wish that the 990 had HDMI.

The second setup is in my living room. I have an Onkyo TX-SR806, no amp, Atlantic Tech speakers, 5.1 and subwoofer. Sometimes, now more often than not, no sound will come out of the speakers when I turn the system on. Doesn't matter whether it's the cable, Blu-ray, Vudu, or anything. There is some bass but no talking and no music. The full sound will eventually come on but it can take up to 1/2 hour. Then, sometimes it works when I turn it on. Very irritating. I did not buy the extended warranty unfortunately.

The question is whether to just dump the Onkyo and replace it with the 5005? The price is so good that it's hard to pass up and the Onkyo just isn't predictable. Probably too expensive to repair. I have been waiting for Outlaw to update the 990 but I probably won't be able to afford it when they do so maybe the 5005 would be a good interim measure.

Whatever advice I can get would be great. I am ready to throw this Onkyo out the window. Also, it gets REALLY hot! I mean really hot. Maybe it's melted something. Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Maureen