Gonk,

Your comparison of Outlaw to OPPO is quite apt. I have an OPPO BDP-83SE paired with my old Outlaw 950. The 950 has a very clean analog pass-through mode and the 83SE sounded like a good enough improvement over the stock 83 that I felt the upgrade was well worth the money. While I have enjoyed my Outlaw 950 for a few years now, the DACs on the 950 sound somewhat thin and brittle compared to the DACs on the 83SE with lossy DVD soundtracks.

I like my 83SE, but I would like to have DACs that are the same quality as the BDP-95 or at least BDP-95 for all of my sources. I also would like to have the option to use a state of the art room correction technology like Trinnov or Audyssey. Finally, as nice as the OPPO 83SE is, it does not support 24-bit streaming music. I really would like the option to render high resolution, multichannel FLAC files on my new pre-pro. Cover art would be preferable, though dumb rendering with an iPhone, iPad, or Android interface would work just fine.

My 950 has served me well, my 83SE works well enough with physical media, but I really want something that will make all of my content sound as good as possible. I'd also like to be able to access all of my content from my computer without having to turn on the projector to drill through a folder-based menu system. It doesn't seem like this is too much to ask in 2011, but no pre-pro or Blu-ray player seems to be able to handle all of these tasks, yet alone at a semi-reasonable price.