What many consider "advances" are considered by some of us as "bells and whistles" and are usually attractive only when compared to another device which lacks the item. Years ago I had a Sony receiver which had all kinds of sound modes like stadium and opera and a host of others. I almost never used them because they changed the sound in ways which, although predictable, also garbled a lot of music. For all the carping we all do regarding which wires sounds the best, we all too often use some feature which distorts the sound to a degree that coat hangers never could. I guess it is the nature of the beast that even though we profess to want the processors to be completely honest in the reproduction of the input at the output, we still want the gismos that sound cool or allow us to win in the contest between ourselves.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner