Originally Posted By: gonk
I highly doubt that Anthem will do it in either their processors or their receivers, and Anthem has been toward the forefront of HDMI implementation among small audio manufacturers. I don't see Parasound doing it. Certainly Onkyo might, and Denon might even get into the mix, but they are chasing a different customer - I don't see it being part of what the smaller companies try to do at this point. I also don't see Onkyo or Denon being able to provide functions that are as good as what can be had with a game console or standalone device unless they borrow one of those standalone devices and drop the entire thing into their chassis.

You're probably right about the smaller vendors not implementing the internal blu-ray drive but the streaming/app piece: We'll see. Concerning the internal blu-ray drive, Denon already has done it. S-5BD. NAD also has the same thing with a DVD drive. NAD Viso Five The VISO has gotten good reviews for audio and video performance (even from The Absolute Sound). Thus, I think high performance is possible, it's simply a matter of vendor implementation and will. To be clear, what I find attractive in the concept of fewer boxes, not any current implementation. Like you, I value performance and won't give it up in the interest of fewer boxes but I see no reason why those who want it can't have both.