Originally Posted By: gonk
I still think USB has to happen, while Ethernet should be included for firmware updates if the unit already has Ethernet for some other reason. Adding the hardware and software costs to include Ethernet just as an extra way to update firmware is a disservice to customers who don't already have a network connection they can use. If the Ethernet port's there already, I agree that allowing firmware updates is a nice convenience.

For better or worse, I think Ethernet is going to be the standard for streaming and firmware updates in the near term (for at least a few years-wireless broadband may be the next big interface). Ethernet was originally only found on vendor's flagship product, but is now trickling down to lower and lower price points. Case in point: Samsung HW-D7000 (SRP: $599). I mention the pending HW-D7000 in particular to illustrate a harbinger of the future: Downloadable apps. shocked In short, AV receivers-followed by prepros-are going to become more like HTPCs every generation; perhaps to the point within a few years where external streamers will be largely redundant. Note that I didn't even mention the 3D blu-ray player built in to the HW-D7000. It will be interesting to see how well it does in the marketplace...

Edited by EricTheBlue (03/21/11 10:49 PM)