Originally Posted By: gonk
I hadn't taken it to that extreme a position since, as you note, if downloading a file onto a USB stick somewhere in a person's daily routine is that challenging, how likely are they to even know that Outlaw exists?

In a prior post, you mentioned how easy it was for you to update your Oppo player via USB at work. The only point I was making is that though it was easy and convenient for you, it may not be so for others. IMO, once you have to use the computing resources of others fix your product, the PITA factor rises.

I've known a lot of people for whom having a wired connection to their home network available at the entertainment center is exceedingly difficult. I was just at a friend's house this weekend - a database admin who is an extremely sophisticated user - and he was talking about how hard it was to get a wire to his living room in his older home...

Based on first hand experience, that's simply not the case. I'm currently living in a home over 60 years old with plaster walls. When I moved in, there was no Ethernet anywhere. I used ServiceMagic.com (they now operate in most major cities) to get multiple bids to install 7 jacks in 4 rooms. Total cost, including parts and labor, was $275 (this charge would have been less has the walls been traditional stick and drywall). Obviously, cost mileage may vary, but I don't think the delta would be large elsewhere and if were only talking about one jack near the owner's equipment, I suspect the cost would be nominal. If there's no ServiceMagic office nearby then Craigslist is an option too. Simply put, getting a hardwired Ethernet jack installed need not be complicated or expensive.

smile - That's true. Still, I've been persisting because I think it's an interesting and useful dialog, seeing different sides of the issue.

I agree and I've enjoyed our discussion. smile How about splitting the difference? For future AV prepros and receivers, the standard should be to include both USB and Ethernet ports so the owner can decide which one will serve him/her best.

Edited by EricTheBlue (03/20/11 11:48 AM)