Originally Posted By: EricTheBlue
Conversely, if a jack is nearby, I think Ethernet updates would be better for three reasons:
1: No need for a PC or usb drive.
2: The ease of updating relative to having to use a PC located elsewhere.
3: No need for PC literacy. Though I suspect this won't be an issue for most 978 owners, Ethernet-based updating should be painless so long as the owner can plug in a jack and navigate a unit's menu (which will be required to set the unit up anyway).

1. If Outlaw wanted to, they could include a 512KB or 1MB USB stick in the box with the Model 978. All users need to do is download a file (or files) onto their computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux), copy the file(s) onto the stick, and plug the stick into the processor. They can even get the file(s) at work if they don't have a computer at home.

2. If you have a home network and will have the processor connected to the network all the time, Ethernet should be straightforward. What I've noticed while watching people get into Blu-ray players is that frequently they don't have Ethernet at the equipment rack. That's why I think it's really important to at least have USB as an option. As for the proximity to a computer, a USB update doesn't require that at all. I've lost count of the number of times I did USB firmware updates to the BDP-83 when I downloaded the files and copied them to USB at work (five miles away from the player) and installed the update when I got home.

There's another wrinkle: let's assume for a moment that someone doesn't have broadband at home. Maybe they live in an area where broadband (cable, DSL, FiOS, etc.) is unavailable or they just don't want to pay for it. (I have co-workers who fall into both categories.) In that case, that person would have to take their processor to a different location to install firmware via Ethernet unless they had an alternative. In both cases, USB firmware updates would still be possible using dial-up Internet access or by carrying a tiny USB stick to a different location (like work or a friend's house) and retrieving the file that way. If you're going to pick only one firmware update procedure, I'd recommend USB over Ethernet - in part because of the potential for situations like this.

3. Connecting a player to an Ethernet jack can be simple enough, but it still requires some knowledge. Networking equipment isn't always easy. It can in fact be pretty complex, depending on how you do it. Copying files onto a USB stick is basic - far, far easier than the process required to update the Model 990, Model 970, and Model 1070. It's comparable to or even easier than what OPPO Digital has been doing since 2005. Dealing with firmware updates is part of the price of admission with the products we're using now. For better or worse, we're stuck with it. The USB approach is a very reasonable and user-friendly approach that works for the widest range of users.

Originally Posted By: EricTheBlue
As previously stated, usb updates work fine for me, and will be extra convenient as I will have a HTPC co-located with the 978.

I agree that USB should work just fine. Ethernet can also work. We've both done it, after all. I would only want to do it if the interface was already being included (which is not the case on the Model 978 and won't be the case on the Model 998) and USB was still available as an option.