Originally Posted By: XenonMan
...The ethernet systems are too fickle unlessyou have a wired input in your rack.

Though I think you made a valid point about the efficacy of external streamers, I'm not sure what you meant by this comment. For an RJ45 Ethernet jack what else would one use beside a hardwire connection? I've never had any issues with multiple firmware updates or local network streaming via my Denon prepro. Though I've certainly heard of some users experiencing hiccups with Ethernet on some AVS receiver/prepro threads, I didn't get the impression that the flaws were endemic to the interface in general. If anything, Ethernet-based firmware updates via my AVP have proven to be a Godsend compared to the prepro it replaced (Onkyo Pro PR-SC885). With the Onkyo I had two choices for firmware updates: Either take it to a local authorized repair shop (which presents its own risks when it's not the original equipment vendor), or attempt the update via data file playback from a CD /DVD player. By the way, as a matter of Onkyo policy users were not supposed to update the PR-SC885. As there were horror stories about some owners bricking their Onkyo prepros via CD update, I sent my unit to the repair shop once for update, then promptly sold it when it dawned on me that multiple firmware updates would be likely for any AV receiver or prepro throughout its life cycle. Since living with two products that allow Ethernet firmware based updates, I would be very hesitant buy to buy another AV receiver or prepro that didn't have it, or a reliable equivalent (as I expect the 978 to be) for owner firmware updates.

Edited by EricTheBlue (03/18/11 11:36 PM)