Originally Posted By: pepar
Originally Posted By: GaryB
Originally Posted By: pepar
No DSX seems to point to a basic implementafion of Audyssey, albeit an XT 32 one.

Do we know for a fact that there's no DSX? I don't see a reason why the 978 couldn't support the 7.1 Surround configurations of DSX, if Outlaw decides to license the technology.

DSX *is* the Wides and/or the Heights. It doesn't do anything to the "main" 7.1 channels. I guess one could forego the rear surrounds in lieu of Wides or Heights, but the labeling on the pic says "Rear Surrounds."

I see that gonk and Orangeman have already answered for me. I was, of course, implying foregoing the Rear Surrounds in favor of Wides or Heights (the latter as suggested by PeterT) just as Audyssey does for their DSX 7.1 Surround configurations, which retain only the "main" 5.1 channels. The current labelling is a little misleading, I agree, but could easily be changed to a more generic "Surr2 R" and "Surr2 L" or suchlike, using the existing nomenclature for the "main" surrounds.

gonk's point regarding not bothering with DSX when PLIIz is already included is well taken, especially if adding DSX would incur additional licensing fees, although dispensing with DSX would mean no "Wide" option.

Edited by GaryB (03/11/11 03:20 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity: rethought alternative surround names