Originally Posted By: gonk

Six digital audio inputs, which can be paired with some or all of those analog video sources. I have a couple analog video sources without digital audio output, but most offer coaxial, optical, or both.

I made no reference to digital inputs. I couldn't be happier with 6 digital ins, but that's outside the scope of my original post.

Consider optical out from your TV.

Why didn't I think of that? Oh that's right no digital out on my TV, hence my post about 'analog stereo ins'.

What device do you use for AirTunes? If it's the Airport Express, it also has an optical output. In both cases, optical allows you to benefit from the 978's DAC without a cheap (literally pennies in parts cost, probably) analog section upstream of it.

I would use the digital optical with AirPort Extpress, but Zone 2 is analog only in my receiver, and according to the answer you gave to my question about digital in zone 2, the chances of that happening in the 978/998 are nil.

That means you just have the Wii and DreamCast that still need to use stereo analog inputs.

Nope, as noted, digital inputs don't fit into this equation, thus omitted from my original post. To be fair though, I don't even have a Dreamcast, it was just an example to show that I may want/need a fourth.

My OPPO still uses 7.1 analog connections, although I also use HDMI for testing at times.

Why not just use the HDMI, I would ask. I know my tone to this point may seem a bit sharp, but I would sincerely like an answer to that.

What happened with a lot of Model 950 and Model 990 owners was that those processors represented people's first move from stereo to multichannel. There were Outlaw customers who knew a good bit about the stereo days, but nothing about surround. There's also the KISS principle - build a product that works well, sounds good, and gets the primary job done, and it doesn't need to have a bunch of clutter just for the sake of clutter.

I wouldn't call matching five stereo ins to five analog video ins "clutter for the sake of clutter"; if these omissions were made in order to include a couple of extra balanced outs, or another hdmi or two, I'd be silent and happy. That's not the case.

Edited by Wrong Hombre (03/07/11 06:55 PM)