I am currently using the Onkyo 1007 and it has a 9 channel amp and can output all 9 channels at one time. On my unit you need to choose either wides or height. I am using the height speakers. I cannot do the wide in my room. So when I watch a 5.1 movie the setting I like the most is the PLIIx (to take it to 7.1) and then the PLIIz to take it to 9.1 and I am using the THX Cinema DSP. It's 3 levels of decoding! I have had some friends over to test the difference between just the 5.1 to 7.1 and the 9.1. This setting works for me most of the time.

I am using an Atlantic Technology 7 channel amp along with this AVR. I bi-amped the front 3 channels and I am using the Onkyo to run the front height, surround and rear center channels. This is the amp I was using when I had the 950.

In my room, with my setup I really enjoy having the height channels. I prefer the PLIIz over the DSX. When I do go back to a pre pro, I will want to have the possiblity of using the 9 channels. I will purchase another amp so I can utilize all nine channels. I like it that much.

When I first got the Onkyo, I tried some really inexpensive Yamaha bookshelf (small) speakers to see if I like how it sounded in my room. I could tell a difference so I installed a pair of Kef 300ci inwall di-pole speakers for my height channels and wow, what a fantastic upgrade! I am running Energy Veritas 2.4's up front and a 2.0 center channel and 4 inwalls for my rear speakers.