Originally Posted By: rebop
Interesting thought. Today I am thinking about the new Oppo and the claim the analog outs are above what most would find on a player. So I automatically though for audio they might be a step above the Outlaw. But you may be right. In which case the investment on the Oppo could have been less for the 93 with less advanced analog outs.

Been 10 years since any changes in my system. Lots to rethink to build for the next ten years.

~Bob

RE-visiting this earlier discussion... The new pictures of the ICBM-2 reminded me of this debate, especially with the BDP-95 in the mix.

The ICBM-2 has both RCA and XLR inputs. It also has a front panel switch to allow you to switch between the two. This is what I picture from looking at that combination:

Take a BDP-95, connect the multichannel analog output to the RCA inputs on an ICBM-2, and connect the stereo analog XLR output to the left and right XLR inputs on the ICBM-2. Connect the RCA outputs of the ICBM-2 to a non-HDMI surround processor. Disable bass management in the BDP-95, and set the front crossover on the ICBM-2 to something (not bypass). Voila - when the ICBM-2 is on "Balanced" input mode, you're using the dedicated stereo output and getting a signal for your subwoofer, while changing to the "Unbalanced" input mode gives you multichannel audio.