Hi all

I'm new to this forum and have read a great deal in the amp section. My AVR, an older Elite, isn't capable of driving my speakers.  I confirmed this when I borrowed a Bryston 4B amp to drive the mains/fronts.  These speakers came alive and the rest of the system's sound improved as well.  This is what lead me to this and other sites to find an amp solution. I had several questions about adding an amp to my HT.  I've read many posts and have found answers to these questions and concerns.  Here is what I've found - please correct me if I misunderstood.

1)  I'm running an Axiom M80 HT system, minus the sub - 2 M80 fronts, a VP180 center and 2 QS8 surrounds.  The 3 fronts are 4 ohm and the surrounds are 8 ohm.  I realize mixing different ohm speaker isn't an issue when running through an capable amp. 

2) There may be some AVR's that would run my setup but most, if not all, would benefit from a seperate power amp. Dollar for dollar, getting a seperate amp instead of a high priced AVR will have the greatest return on my investment.

3)  My HT room measures 20' x 11.5' x 7.5' (LWH).  Due to my room size my amp requirements would be satisfied with a 125 WPC @ 8 ohms (7125) but a 200 WPC @ 8 ohm (7200, 7500 or 7700) would give me more headroom/reserves.  Not to be mistaken with louder playback as the difference would be just a few db's in overall SPL's. Clarity and dynamics get the biggest increase, from a seperate amp.  The power of a 200 WPC amp would only be needed in those rare moments when demand was at it's peak and I was listening at 'high volumes', if not insane levels.  200 vs 125 wpc, while not really adding to the sound is more like not limiting the sound - this is a subjective issue for the listener as any additional power is an act of diminshing returns. However, many here have noted the 200 vs 125 wpc amps are clearer and more dynamic at all volumes.

4)  I currently need a 5 channel system.  If I go to 7 channels I can run additional speakers off my AVR.  However, if I stay with 5 channels, and I go to a Pre/Pro, I'll have to add additional amp(s) to drive any extra speakers.  If I wish to ensure future upgrades, with a Pre/Pro, I have to decide whether to go 7 channels now or plan on adding more amp(s) later...or trade up.  Either are an added costs and are up to each owner how best to proceed...pay now or pay later!  Or, just stay with 5 channel as very few 7 channel movies are avaiable. My last system was a 7.1 and my HT room is pre-wired for a 7.1 setup. Cost was the only limiting factor this time around, that and WAF!

I've been looking at Outlaw for my next amp. Ok, Emotiva as well, but I like the overall design of the Outlaws better! Since the amp will be visible from my seating position I don't want it to interfere with my HT viewing. Something about the overly bright power switch light on the front isn't really condusive to HT. I know I could always put a piece if tape over it...but ugh! Does that sound shallow!?

Something I didn't see was whether the 3.5 mm mono plug for the remote power switch was included? Oops, just found a post talking about the included cable...never mind wink

I like the Outlaw 7500 and 7700, or the 7200 as a mid price solution. From user and professional reviews I've read here and elsewhere, it appears that Outlaw has a very capable and competively priced product.  I'm waiting on a guy, who knows a guy...good gawd, we've all heard that one before...that installs HT and has some equipment for sale. However this turns out I'll be an amp owner very soon with Outlaw high on my list!

Thanks for listening and please feel free to chime in!

Edited by zuter (02/20/11 02:55 PM)
OPPO 103 Bluray Player
Home built HTPC
Outlaw 7700 amp