I had the purple fuzz/power problem with my Samsung (listed below in my signature) a couple weeks ago. I diagnosed the problem via the internet by Googling "purple fuzz" (which was the first manifistation) and anticipated the related power problem which occurred a week or so later. Therefore, I read the various fixes and reviewed the related videos and pictures, and simply bought the 5 capacitors (for a few bucks) and fixed it myself. I have never done any soldering before, but was careful and fixed the problem easily and it has worked now for a couple weeks. In hind sight, the problem and issue was admittedly a hassle, but fixing it was kind of fun. I guess I had a sense of accomplishment in being a neophyte and being able to diagnose the problem, confirm it visually once the TV was apart, and then actually fix it. I did not have to hassle with Samsung or a repair shop, nor incur the expense and risk of breakage by sending/taking in for repair. Admittedly it would be nice to have Samsung own up to the problem, but I believe the do-it-yourself approach on this isolated problem (they had a large batch of bad capacitors) is the preferred method to avoid hassle and shipping expense. Also, I really like my Samsung and thus I am not sure I would shy away from Samsung in the future based on this problem of bad capacitors. I am usually a pretty tough consumer (because I value customer service and will pay for it), but this is one problem that I could easily fix on my own, and thus I do not feel very put out by it.

Ed.

Edited by edcrash1 (02/11/11 03:58 PM)
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables