Originally Posted By: rebop
Well, I do have DSD set and do use the analog outs. My proc is a Parasound AVC-1800. There is no setting for analog on the stereo ins. They always do a digital conversion.

All the more reason to focus your efforts on the 5.1 analog connection, as the BDP-95 can provide bass management there for you (for both stereo and multichannel sources, SACD notwithstanding). If you wanted to get a little extreme, you could connect both the stereo analog output and the left/right channels of the 7.1 analog output into a good quality switch box of some sort. You could then feed the stereo output signal into the left/right channels of the 5.1 analog input while also getting the subwoofer signal from the 7.1 output (produced by the BDP-95's internal bass management). I don't think that I'd go that far with it, but I have no doubt that other people would.

Originally Posted By: rebop
And you are correct. There is no single answer. No matter how much I thought this through, its a different story once you receive the gear and actually setup and play. The compromises are not obvious until I try all the possibilities.

Likewise, the possible permutations that can be used when mixing different components can seem almost limitless (see my suggestion above for an example). For what it's worth, I think you got a very nice piece of equipment when you picked up that BDP-95.