I thought I'd resurrect this thread since I've been successful at digitizing my first two LPs with many more to go. I'm using a GemSound PL-USB versus the Behringer (mentioned in pervious posts) for analog to digital conversion. The GemSound is selectable for both line or phono input and outputs via USB plus it can be powered by USB or a wall wart. I've got a bare bones setup at this point with just my turntable connected to my iMac via the GemSound.

I'm using Audacity to record and edit my LPs. Audacity is fairly complex but at the same time offers a wide variety of ways to edit the recordings. I split up what has been recorded to the appropriate tracks then edit (click removal, transitions between songs, etc), add the song metadata and then export AIFF files that I then import into iTunes. My first two attempts (Donald Fagen Nightfly and Steely Dan Aja ) were from pretty clean LPs and so transferred well. I've got a couple of LPs from Goodwill that are next that will test and expand my knowledge of Audacity's editing capabilities.

Eventually I'll have the GemSound connected to the Record Out of a Pioneer integrated amp of the same vintage as my turntable. I've got an equalizer of the same era that I may also insert before the GemSound to provide even more adjustment capability. But not to get ahead of myself, does anyone have suggestions that made using Audacity easier and more effective? There are so many choices on how to edit any insights from current users would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by AvFan (01/04/11 01:13 AM)