Originally Posted By: gonk
One drawback to setting the player to 480p is that it'll scale BD's down to 480p as well. It would be an interesting experiment, but might not be a good long-term solution.

Providing it's worth the trouble from a PQ perspective, it's easy enough to toggle through the available resolutions using the remote. I certainly wouldn't suggest leaving the "default" resolution at 480p for BDs, although for a 50" 768p plasma viewed at 10' or more, I think many would be surprised at how small a difference the lower resolution might make to image quality. smile

Quote:
I compared 1080p to 720p when I set up my oppo and couldn't really see any difference but I never used 480p. I'll check it out if I get a chance and report back. I suspect the scaling capability of my Pioneer is pretty good since I couldn't see any difference between 720p or 1080p from the oppo to 768p. I suspect I won't see any difference going between 480p and 768p but I'll check.

Thanks for indulging me. smile The Pioneer plasmas are indeed often singled out as having good scaling capability although I suspect that's also true of many others. It's deinterlacing (especially for 480i) that seems to cause problems for many.