Originally Posted By: AvFan
But what I'd really like to hear more about is the 978's video processing and how flexible it will be. I still watch a significant amount of standard definition TV and DVDs. What will the 978/Anchor Bay Technologies do for those sources and how will the 978 work with my plasma?

This is a good question. The ABT2010 is a chip I've spent some time with and been quite happy with when used in conjunction with DVD's, but it does depend on the firmware implementation as well. The most likely Anchor Bay chip will be the ABT2015, which is similar to the ABT2010, so it should offer similar potential.

If your plasma is a "non-standard" resolution (the various flavors of 768p), my understanding is that it is prohibitively complex for the panel's native resolution to be supported (too many variations in timing and specific resolution). Some standalone video processors support it, but it's really hard to do - OPPO tried it with the BDP-83 during beta testing and concluded that there were too many problems. You'd probably need to use either 720p or 1080p (assuming the plasma accepts a 1080p signal).