Originally Posted By: gonk
This has always been a challenge for Outlaw - there have always been lower-cost receivers available from larger manufacturers, often with comparable or even more up-to-date feature sets. The SR5005 does look to be a good candidate for a receiver-as-pre/pro.

The difference here, though, will most likely come from the significant discussion in Peter's post about audio quality (DAC selection, analog audio design, etc.). I am assuming that the Model 978 will cost more than the SR5005, but the expectation is that it will offer better sound quality. At that point, it is always a personal judgment call as to whether or not the extra cost can be justified by the audio quality.

Gonk, no doubt what you say is correct about Outlaw and the issues of new product announcements, however, in my case I already have had Marantz products in my set-ups for a number of years so I am quite familiar with their performance capabilities.

I guess the issue for many of us long-time Outlaw customers is that we are now on the THIRD new Pre-Pro product announcement in the last couple of years with still basically nothing concrete emerging from all this, so at some point, a decision must be made. As we have seen in recent times, two years is a lifetime in the consumer electronics business.

Edited by casey01 (10/09/10 09:46 PM)