If you want to get rid of your RCA cord and give yourself more flexibility in placement check out the wireless connection from Aperion audio. It allows you to place your sub anywhere in the room as long as you can get power to it.

As far as double boxes, if you ever have to send your equipment back to the manufacturer, you will thank the manufacturers that take the time to double box equipment. I received my Onkyo from Outlaw and it was well packaged but has a single box with large gaps between the outside and the equipment. The box had two big gouges in it when I first got it and then I had to ship it back to get a firmware update. I am just glad it didn't get damaged in transit. I sent my 7125 back for soem work and wasn't concerned in the least because that double box was incredibly tough.

While I agree that Outlaw needs to stand out in the crowd, they can't chase every new techno idea. They had a lot of time and customer angst around the 997 that they canceled rather than bring a poor product to market. That was difficult situation because they had everyone asking about the machine and it all went up in smoke.

Gonk has already explained the electronics of why the power cord is as it is. I have the LFM-1EX and it just crushes the bass with the original cord. I would suggest you get a 90 degree RCA coupler to reduce the strain on the connection. The size of the sub is clearly indicated on the product page but when you get it out of the box it is huge.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner