Originally Posted By: edcrash1

Koyaan, with all due respect, I don't understand your position. First of all, by "ghost" image OSD text, I mean that the text is semi transparent over the current video such that you can still see the entire video image AND still read the OSD text. Therefore, I can understand Outlaw not providing an option/toggel for such a ghost OSD overlay onto the current video display based on cost and/or technology limitations; but I cannot understand an argument for not doing so based on some imagined burden to family, guests, and perhaps other Outlaws that do not want that option. The burden on family, guests, and other Outlaws comes in when you are forced to access either a secondary display or blank out the current display to simply find out what settings are currently active and/or change one or two of those settings for the currently playing media. In fact, I am sure I am not alone in hearing "what are you doing" or "put the video back on" when I have accessed the current blanked out OSD format offered by the Outlaw 990. I was a Navy F/A-18 pilot in my younger days and was lucky enough to use one of the first Heads-Up-Displays--I now just want a heads up display for my TV!

I definitely welcome other viewpoints on this topic because this is a big "want to have" option for me based on "ease of use" considerations. But, admittedly, the lack of such an option will not sour me to Outlaw 998 (but neither would the complete elimination of S video and composite connections--which "old" technology is still on others' want lists (to each his own)).

Ed

I agree with you 100%.. And it should be switchable for those who don't want it.

I think Yamaha has gotten it closer to "perfection" than anyone else... volume at the bottom of the screen when making a change.

If you want more info, you hit the STATUS button on the remote and you get a full screen overlay for both Audio and Video info, including Dialog Norm offset..

One of the other things that Yamaha has also gotten right, which I haven't seen used by anyone else, is System Memories. They will store a multitude of setting which you can then change with one button push.

For example, you can have your default settings for speakers (let's say Small with various crossovers), video scaling settings, etc on Memory One... then you can store a different setting for your speakers (i.e. large) and store only that information info in Memory Two.. you can choose to store all or only selected parameters per Memory... there are also 4 separate Volume memories as well. it's pretty cool. Then to recall, there are dedicated buttons on the remote, or you can use the Web Browser control to access them.

The Denon's will provide the same information, however it is buried in the menu a couple of clicks deep. And Anthem uses a 2 line overlay which cycles through the info with each press of the button.

And Pioneer has taken a different route with their newest receiver, the SC-37... they went with a two way RF remote which mimics the front panel display, so you can see the volume, source, etc. on the remote. (they also have an iPhone app that gives you a bunch of info..)