Originally Posted By: KOYAAN
Outlaw has traditionally designed OSDs that don't obscure the primary display but offer a secondary display format for tech. info. I'd like to see this same philosophy followed. If you want to see all of this, buy a secondary display, don't burden your family and guests with it.

Koyaan, with all due respect, I don't understand your position. First of all, by "ghost" image OSD text, I mean that the text is semi transparent over the current video such that you can still see the entire video image AND still read the OSD text. Therefore, I can understand Outlaw not providing an option/toggel for such a ghost OSD overlay onto the current video display based on cost and/or technology limitations; but I cannot understand an argument for not doing so based on some imagined burden to family, guests, and perhaps other Outlaws that do not want that option. The burden on family, guests, and other Outlaws comes in when you are forced to access either a secondary display or blank out the current display to simply find out what settings are currently active and/or change one or two of those settings for the currently playing media. In fact, I am sure I am not alone in hearing "what are you doing" or "put the video back on" when I have accessed the current blanked out OSD format offered by the Outlaw 990. I was a Navy F/A-18 pilot in my younger days and was lucky enough to use one of the first Heads-Up-Displays--I now just want a heads up display for my TV!

I definitely welcome other viewpoints on this topic because this is a big "want to have" option for me based on "ease of use" considerations. But, admittedly, the lack of such an option will not sour me to Outlaw 998 (but neither would the complete elimination of S video and composite connections--which "old" technology is still on others' want lists (to each his own)).

Ed
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables