Originally Posted By: redman6
given some of the new features slowly showing avr's and processors in regards to network setup..

while it may not be practical to support a switch within the chassis of the processor..

though as i said it would be a nice feature to have non the less..

I think a 8-24 port plug-in module is do-able just look at the business gear cisco makes.. 90% of that is a plug-in module base....

it's just a matter of having enough space to add the lan switch module in..

then again most think of outside the box when thinking of networking..

A built in switch would be cool, but then again you would still need to connect to a router and you can buy switches for less than $20. That's one of the reasons I wanted to have wireless and ethernet built in so you could connect either way, but have built in internet connection sharing, so multiple pieces of equipment could share the 998's connection. There's a few ways of going about this, but it would make sense to me.

Past few days I looked into ethernet bridges and access points, but Linksys (cisco owned) seems to be fazing out both in place of routers only. The problem with all of those companies is that when bridging you pretty much have to stick with 1 manufacturer's equipment. You cannot use a linksys access point with d-link router as a bridge or access point client. It's pretty lame in my opinion because you can use any wireless card in a laptop, which is essentially the same card used in those pieces of equipment. Additionally there's been all kinds of issues with the recent N equipment. Having a build in wireless and ethernet client would eliminate those problems because it would be more like a laptop.

A major hurdle is how/what the internal os supports and if it is possible to add that type of client without ground up development. I don't know what the 998 uses or how easy it would be to add additional software. But I think it would be awesome and allow for great adaptability in the future.