We may be beating a dead horse here, but what the heck...

Originally Posted By: redman6
the problem is 2 inputs isn't enough.. how many external av switches do you want to integrate

What two inputs are you referring to? If you mean the Model 998, we have no definitive numbers on input quantities. If you mean the Model 990, the only input type limited to two is DVI. Based on your current equipment list, that might be perfectly satisfactory for your needs.

if you look at my current setup you can understand why the need more external inputs is needed..

while I only got 1 component that uses composite I have a min of 10 items that can use s-video, component, stereo, multichan analog and spdif digital..

Based on your equipment list, I count three that are limited to composite (SNES, N64, and VCR). As for the rest, I don't know the specific DVD player models in question well enough to know which ones offer component video only and which also offer HDMI. When using multiple DVD players, you will always need to figure out how to resolve connectivity - I speak as one who at one time had as many as three DVD players, an HD-DVD player, and a BD player in the system simultaneously (all run through a Model 990, I might add). The challenge relates to both audio and video, although with DVD players the audio is generally simplified: use coaxial or optical, unless it is a DVD-A, SACD, or Blu-ray player - in which case you'll want either multichannel analog or HDMI v1.1+.

while I don't expect to see multiple multi chan analog connections, I think a mix of s-video component, stereo and spdif could be a nice a nice setup deal..

No argument. It's all a matter of quantities. One 7.1 analog input is appropriate, as are a few component inputs, a few composite and/or s-video inputs, and some associated stereo analog inputs. I don't include coaxial and optical in that list, but they need to be there too - for analog video sourecs, audio-only sources, and even some digital video sources. I use coaxial digital audio with HDMI video from my HD cable box because the Onkyo 885 acquires the audio signal noticeably faster that way.

dvi is a good option though with hdmi being available dvi has become a obsolete connection for digital video which only has realms in the pc frat..

DVI isn't appropriate for inclusion in a new design, but DVI-to-HDMI cables and adapters are easy to come by and will allow HDMI video switching through the 990's DVI connections just fine. You don't have to be using a PC to use the DVI switching.

does anyone know of an rf-av converter box..

was planning to add the nes, sega's older consoles to the mix..

What you are looking for is an RF demodulator. In the US, Radio Shack usually sells them for about $20 or $30. An RF coaxial signal goes in, and composite video and stereo analog audio come out.

while my options might not be realistic for the US customers, I'd be a international customer looking for certain features where the size of the processor isn't a factor, larger the better is all I'll say at a reasonable price..

It's not a matter of US or overseas. It's a matter of the quantity of legacy inputs that you want to have built into a modern surround processor. As I've said (over and over and over again), it isn't economically justifiable to build something with all those inputs when most consumers are asking for those inputs to be phased out in favor of HDMI. The solution in your case, no matter how much it displeases you, is one or two large external switches with IR control and a good universal remote that supports macros. That combination can provide seamless automation even with the abnormally large number of sources you are interested in connecting.

as for the network switch that was an optional feature where you may have a space constraint where it isn't possible to an external network switch, it is easy enough to plugin a daughter board than it is trying to add in a 8-24 port network switch..

an option of a plugin module to cater for all the network desires of each piece of hardware that has network connection..

all in all the expansion of the current network module is a need thit is required given the things we may want to connect to the processor..

Simply designing a daughter board that integrates into the rear panel and provides an optional network switch (whether 8-port or larger) adds cost, even before you factor in the cost of the daughter board itself for customers who want it. I haven't priced network switches in Australia, but in the US a network switch large enough to serve a very sophisticated home theater can be had for under $60. That is, quite simply, the most graceful and cost-effective solution for 99.99% of users. It costs about what Outlaw would have to charge for a "daughter board" or integral switch - probably less than Outlaw would have to charge - and only the folks who need it will have to pay for it. Personally, I don't need it. I've got a five-port switch behind my computer monitor that connects to the four network drops I installed behind my equipment rack, and those four drops meet my current needs with some room for growth.