Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: Smarty-pants
Now, another possible scenario I may be interested in is the MCH and/or stereo analog inputs.
I have never owned an Outlaw avr or preamp, but is it correct that their processors are able to do bass management on the analog inputs without digitizing the audio?
I wonder if there will be similar type situation with the new model. T'would be nice if so.

Hard to say. Certainly on the Model 950 and Model 970/1070, they offered an analog bass management solution that was pretty convenient and unique - a rear panel toggle switch provided the option of engaging or not engaging an analog bass management circuit based around an 80Hz crossover point. The Model 990 was the only Outlaw processor not designed from the ground up by Outlaw (being derived from the Sherwood R-965/P-965 platform with some significant hardware and software modifications), and as a result it lacked the analog bass management. Instead, it had ADC's on the 7.1 analog input and applied the same digital bass management used for digital audio inputs. With multichannel audio sources now so heavily shifted to HDMI and some sort of comparable bass management offered by most of those players, the need for including it may have waned a bit compared to what we saw in 2002 (when the Model 950 arrived).

Well sir, in that case, my proposal doesn't sound too promising.
In any case though, I would remind Outlaw that even though the digital interface of HDMI has definitely become the mainstream connection, there are still many users who like the analog audio sound.
Many of those users may choose a higher end amps and or preamps, and just as well, those with legacy gear forced to use analog connections to get the best sound with the latest audio codecs may not care if the analog connections are digitized.
However, there is that small-yet-significant crowd that may like to use analog for music, and hdmi for movies.
This crowd, and also the all-analog crowd, may want to use the analog connection in the processor but not appreciate the digitizing of the audio.
At the very least, I think Outlaw should offer a passthrough mode, even if the advanced BM for analog isn't there.

Personally, I use the 2CH analog output of the OPPO BDP-83SE for my 2CH music listening in my media room.
One reason what makes both Outlaw and OPPO such good companies with good products, is that for the most part, they have high quality products at reasonable prices for what the consumer receives in return compared to the overall a/v market.
This creates a situation where an enthusiast can have a very high quality setup for less out of pocket expense than what most "audiophile setups" typically cost.

However, if an analog user has to use different equipment in addition to something like the 998, then that makes the setup more costly, thus negating the best setup you can have for less out of pocket expense.
That, and the fact that it may force analog users to look elsewhere for a processor that is analog passthrough friendly.
My TX-SR805 that is now 4 yr old technology, is still an outstanding processor and MCH amp, and it offers at least passthrough for analog audio.

Now, if Outlaw were to have such outstanding world renown DACs in their 998, that even analog audio connections come out sounding better after digitizing, then maybe my whole point is moot.:D