Originally Posted By: redman6
gonk the point of legacy inputs is so we can use existing hardware..

since I still own vhs I still need to able to use composite..

I've never said we should omit composite video and analog audio. On the contrary, we do need to see some. I've questioned the quantity, that's all.

given what I heard and seen I believe hdmi 1.4 uses a smaller connection than standard 1.0-1.3 connections, it's just not a firmware update for hdmi 1.4 it's also a board change, now whether or not the existing connection can support hdmi 1.4 I can't say though if it is a different connector I would say the choice of having hdmi 1.3 and hdmi 1.4 in the same chassis would much be preferred..

Using HDMI v1.4 is a board change because it requires a different transceiver chip, but it does not change the connector. If you've heard and seen information suggesting that, you've been misled. HDMI v1.4 does include an optional smaller connector as well as an automotive connector, but it retains the existing connector as the standard.

a 8-16 port switch might be as cheap as chips in the states though in other countries it is not always the case...

The states is Outlaw's target market. Additionally, the number of potential 998 owners who would want to pay extra to have such a device integrated into the cabinet is extremely small

at the moment I only have 2 items that support hdmi that is the xbox 360 and the onkyo dv-cp 704..

given the I have have playback issues with most of my dvd's in 1 form or another I still find the need have older dvd players in service as what faults 1 player picks up may not show on another player as the laser pickups may pick faults in other area's of the disc....

thus is why I'm looking for multi component in and multi spdif fibe optic in, multichannel analog while i'd like it I doubt it will be any benefit over digital..

The Model 998 will have to include one 7.1 analog input as well as some optical and coaxial digital inputs. It will also have to include some component video, composite video, stereo analog, and probably s-video inputs. All of these are required for support of legacy hardware such as you describe.